Favorite Things – Candle Holder


candle holderWhy would this common candle holder that anyone can find be one of my treasured objects?
Because it is linked to a memory of a fun vacation house and because my husband purchased it to remind me of that fun time and the family memories we made that week.

Several summers ago, we spent a week as a family at a house on a lake. The house was decorated in a comfortable and homey style. One of the items that caught my eye on the kitchen eating bar was a candle holder with vanilla pillar candles.

All that week, when we were in the house, those candles burned, giving off that wonderful vanilla aroma. The light from the candles shed a glow for our mealtimes, as we played games at night and illuminated the early morning as the sun came up and we enjoyed that first cup of coffee looking out on the lake.

When we arrived home, Keith surprised me by hunting down a store that sold this candle holder. He purchased it for me and this one has stood on our kitchen counter, illuminating our home with flickering light from the candles, and scenting the air with that wonderful vanilla scent.

So objects, by themselves are nice,
but the story of how they became special
are the real treasure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pathways

Pathways

My Craft Room