Favorite Things - Vintage Cookbooks and Recipes


better homes cookbook
It has been fun treasure hunting for vintage cookbooks throughout the years. Some of the ones I have found in thrift stores, estate sales, used book stores and library book sales are ones I remembered from being in the kitchen as I grew up.

I love finding them with notes in the margins from the previous owners. Oh the stories those notes can tell of a simpler time in the kitchen.

My favorite vintage cookbook is the oldest one I have; All About Home Baking. copyright 1933. The pages are filled with notes and you can almost see it sitting on a kitchen counter, center stage for the treats it will inspire.


I  also enjoy displaying my favorite handwritten recipes from family and friends in shadowboxes. joy of cooking



Recipe shadow box 2I love seeing handwriting of those I love and the "locked in time" choice of  paper it is written on. Some on dated recipe cards, some on scraps of paper, wrtten in a moment of request for the recipe, some on simple lined notebook paper.


I will never tire of looking back and remembering people, good food and memories made around the table.


Recipe shadow boxAs I have been teaching Jackie and Megan to bake, inspired by their enthusiasm to learn, it  has been fun to see the vintage and the current world of technology collide.
 While reading a recipe that required an ingredient that we were not familiar with, we went to the computer and typed in our questions. In seconds we had our answer and we were on our way.

"To move forward,
we need to look back
and
in looking back
we imagine the future."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pathways

Pathways

My Craft Room