"Mug Shots" Day 3


There are just some things that you know are special when you first see them. Whether it be the color, design or craftsmanship you are just drawn to take a closer look.

This next set of mugs was like that for me. They are all made in Poland and have a long history with some interesting stories. At the end of this blog I will post some links to some sites that talk about them.


I spotted the blue one while shopping an outlet store and was immediately drawn to pick it up. The feel of the pottery and the details in the design combined with my love of anything blue confirmed my initial draw to this piece. While these pieces can be very pricey, this one was not because of the store it was in. Perhaps it was an overstock or a retired design or maybe it had a flaw that kept it from a different retail store. Regardless, I purchased it and have been using it as one of my favorites ever since.
The one with the green and blue flower design is a favorite for spring and summer afternoon tea on the lanai. It reminds me of the colors in a well cared for garden.

Much the same design and color palette, this next mug described as a "bubble" shape. It is quite a bit larger than a normal mug size, but is perfect for hot cocoa with a generous helping of whip cream or marshmallows. Yummy indeed.


Next is my most favorite of all.
It is a specialty mug for a very specific purpose and a unique story. It is a handled soup mug. The design is purposed for when soldiers would be sharing a pot of soup at the campsite and they simplified things by not having to serve or use utensils. They simply dipped their mug into the big pot and drank.
I love this one for tomato soup with a sprinkling of crackers or croutons.
 


Thanks for reading! Here's to soup!
 
Patti
 
 
Here are the links to some sites that describe the pottery and the unique design of the handled soup mug.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pathways

Pathways

My Craft Room