Alphabet Organizing - J



The letter J took me to an old (vintage) jewelry box that was my moms. It also led me to some (vintage) juice glasses that I have picked up at thrift stores.

Don't you just love the word VINTAGE better than OLD??
I do!

The jewelry box was purchased for my mom by my dad from Pier 1 many years ago when Per 1 was mostly just wicker and hemp and macramé. I know it was an indulgent purchase even then.

I remember this jewelry box sitting on her bureau and holding all the special jewelry that my mom had. I loved to look through it and hear the stories of where some of the older pieces came   from.

The mink clip on earrings, the silver and onyx bangle bracelet, the silver hammered scrimshaw bracelet that was very Asian and was never worn, but always treasured.

When my mom passed away in 1988, the jewelry box was one item of my moms that I requested to have. For many years I used it. It sat on my dresser top and was a delight to my eyes and a fond memory maker of my mom.

As practicality overtook the need for more space, we got rid of dressers in our bedroom and I no longer had a place to hold the jewelry box. It landed in the closet and then got boxed up when we moved and stayed packed away for quite awhile.

I recently brought it out and began sifting through the items. memories of many good things about my mom, and the things she treasured being held in this lovely wooden box.

Here are a few photos of it . Just as I uncovered it. Not neatened up, just as is. Over time I will rearrange the items, maybe repurpose the box for something else. But it will always have a place in our home and in my heart.

 One of the treasures of my own I have added to the box is the hatpin I wore on my hat with my wedding dress. It is shown here on the ring bearers pillow that I crosstitched for our wedding.
 
It is fun to take a look at some VINTAGE treasures and appreciate them afresh.
 
 
 
 The other thing that J led me to are a few VINTAGE juice glasses and a sweet little juice pitcher. I find it fun to rescue these items from thrift stores. The dustier and more hidden in the back of a shelf the better. I like to image the homes they were in before. Perhaps a Victorian lady sipping fresh hand squeezed orange juice at a lace covered dining table. Or perhaps a young girl permitted to sit and hold a special glass, cautioned to be careful, but learning to take care and becoming a young lady that would one day grow up and have a home and special kitchen things of her own.

Setting a table with these nice things, or just spotting them in my kitchen cupboards makes me smile.



Take some time to dig out or through some treasures you may have packed away. Let the memories of people and their treasures allow you to enjoy them anew. Perhaps take a few of your special possessions and share them with a friend, a daughter, another family member that you want to appreciate the things that are a treasure to you. Perhaps tuck a note inside a jewelry box and wonder who in the future will find it.

Remember, this Alphabet Organizing has no rules. You do what you want with it. Today J took me down memory lane and I enJoyed it!
I bet you will too!!

Best to you all,

Patti

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pathways

Pathways

My Craft Room