Great Moments in Kindness - Day 5

Great Moments in Kindness from History
 
1967  Cicely Saunders, MD, founds the modern hospice movement in London in an effort to provide comfort to people during their final days.
"I once asked a man who was dying what he needed above all in those who were caring for him.
 He said, "For someone to look as if they are trying to understand me."
 Dr. Saunders said, explaining the movements mission, "I never forgot that he did not ask for success, but only that someone should care enough to try."
 
 
(June 22, 1918–July 14, 2005)
 
 
 
Moments in Kindness Observed Today
 
I had to dig a little deeper today to find some kindness around me. It seems that arrogance, selfishness and apathy dominate some lives when they bump up against another.
 
Yesterday I experienced three people doing what one might consider less than the American dream job, yet, they were pleasant and joyful. And kind.
 
Today I experienced folks that by their very occupation and job title are meant to serve others. Yet, the simple act of displaying kindness to those they were serving was absent.
 
No details of who, what or where. Sorry, details just don't matter in this story.
 
What matters is that finally after an hour of sharing my frustration, there was but a hint and glimmer of attempting to understand and they "cared to try".
 
In the end, my problem was not solved, I was still frustrated by a "stupid" system, but as I walked out into yet another Florida afternoon downpour, I found myself thankful that I had seen kindness in the smallest attempt of "trying to care".
 
It seemed that the success I walked into expecting, soon was reduced to a desire to be heard, and to be the recipient of some simple caring and kindness.
 
So today, I observed kindness in a different way. Not in my face apparent, but perhaps like a back handed compliment, in the end, it was indeed meant from the heart.
 
Keep looking for kindness.
 Keep being kind.
 In the end, it matters if we care to try.
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pathways

Pathways

My Craft Room